Hummus bites are great vegan and allergy-friendly appetizers. They’re free of gluten, corn, dairy and eggs. It’s also completely sugar-free. Now you have something to give those troublesome guests (like me) that you never know what to feed. LOL.
Panelle is an Italian chickpea fritter made using chickpea flour and parmesan cheese. I found a recipe online not long after my allergy diagnosis. Just a glance at the ingredients and I just knew it was begging to be turned into a pan-fried hummus appetizer!
I held off on giving you this recipe until I posted the mayonnaise recipe last week. While the bites are excellent just with a squeeze of lemon, they’re awesome with the mayonnaise sauce below!
Optional dipping sauce: mayonnaise with a couple of squirts of liquid aminos (or soy sauce). The liquid animos is very salty, so go easy and taste before you serve.
The recipe is very forgiving within certain guidelines.
- You can play with the lemon juice amount as long as you keep the total liquid to 1 1/2 cups. I like the tartness, so I went pretty heavy.
- Add as much or as little garlic as you like.
- Going above one tablespoon of tahini dulls the other flavors. It will also make the hummus bites very dense. It kinda reminded me of having peanut butter stuck on the roof of my mouth. (No thanks.) My tahini was pretty thick. If you’re is more runny, you may have a different experience.
- 1¼ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 120g (1 cup) chickpea flour
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp salt
- Frying oil: organic olive oil, organic safflower oil or any high temp oil
- Lightly oil an 9- by 4-inch pan and line with parchment paper or foil.
- Whisk together all the ingredients except the frying oil in a heavy saucepan until smooth, then cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (to prevent lumps from forming), until very thick and mixture pulls away from side of pan, 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to loaf pan, smoothing top. Cool, uncovered, then chill covered with plastic wrap, until firm, 2-3 hours. Cut block in to 1" cubes. (The cubes can keep in the refrigerator for a few days.)
- When you're ready to serve, heat oil in a deep 10-inch heavy skillet set to mid-high heat, then fry the cubes in batches. Carefully turn the cubes occasionally with tongs, until golden and transfer to paper towels to drain. Keep warm on a baking sheet in oven while frying remaining batches.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lemon.
The cubes can be frozen after cutting but before frying. There may be a slight texture change.
This post was shared on Let’s Get Real, Pennywise Platter, Doggone Dirty Craftin’, Create It, Catch A Glimpse, Inspire Us Thursday, Link Party, Homeacre Hop, Foodtastic Friday, Tuesday’s Table, No Rules Weekend, Mountain Woman Rendezvous, Wildly Original, Project Stash, All Things, Fabulously Frugal, Full Plate, Favorite Things, Wildcrafting Wednesday, It’s a Party, Time for a Party, Whimsy Wednesday, Your Whims, What’s Cookin’, Whatever Goes, Inspire Me, Wicked Awesome, Wonderful Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative, Wow Me, WFMW, Wednesday Whatsits, We Did It, What I Learned, Pretty Wednesday, Tuesdays with a Twist, Show Me What You Got, Delicious Dish, Creative Muster, Made by Me, From Dream to Reality, Lovely Ladies Linky, Real Food Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not, Cast Party, Wake Up, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Tutorial Tuesday, One Project at a Time, Too Cute, Tasty Tuesday, Take A Look, Try A New Recipe, Sew Darn Crafty, Turn It Up, Simple Supper, Totally Talented, Share Your Stuff, Treasure Box, You’re Gonna Love It, Create Link Inspire, Time to Sparkle, Two Cup Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Tempting Tuesdays, Inspire Me Tuesday, Inspire Me Monday, Show Me What You’ve Got, Homemade Tuesday, Good Tips, Meal Planning, Thoughtful Spot, Mad Skills, Recipe Sharing, Made by You, Mostly Homemade, Homestead Barn Hop, What’d You Do, Natural Living, Sweet Sharing, Much Ado, Melt in your Mouth, Block Party, Mix It Up, Motivation Monday, Monday Funday, Sunday Best, Round Tuit, Inspiration Monday, Happiness is Homemade, See Ya in the Gumbo, Real Food Recipes, Clever Chicks, Sharing Time, Marvelous Mondays, Simple Sunday, Sunday Soiree, Wildly Original, Nifty Thrifty, Simple Saturday, Showlicious, Think Pink, Saturday Night Fever, Crafty Showcase, Dare to Share, Saturday Sparks, Get Schooled, Serenity Saturday, Recipe of the Week, Show Stopper, Show & Tell, Check Me Out, Savoring Saturdays, Strut Your Stuff, Best of the Weekend, Party Palooza, Five Friday Finds, Welcome to the Weekend, Inspire Me Please, Weekend No Rules, Inspiration Spotlight, Inspired Weekend, DIY Projects & Recipes, Freedom Fridays, Healthy Vegan, Party Bunch, Friday Frenzy, Fancy This, Anything Goes, Foodie Friday-2, Flaunt It Friday, Eat Create Party, Craft Frenzy Friday, Friday Favorites, Foodie Friends, Foodie Friday, Frugal Friday, Show & Tell, BFF Open House, Simple Meals, Whole Foods Friday, Fight Back Friday, Kitchen Fun & Crafty, Friday Flash, Weekend Re-treat, Real Food Friday, Tutorial Thursday, Live Laugh Linky, Feathered Nest, and Gluten Free Friday.