A month ago, Kat from Clayton Family Kitchen nominated me for a Liebster Award. Yeah, I didn’t know what it was either. After a little research, I found out that it’s a way for bloggers to acknowledge the work of newer bloggers. I’m honored to be chosen by one of my peers. Thank you Kat!
It’s taken me a month to get back to this due to a vacation and then some personal upheaval in my life. But I’m ready to fulfill my end of the deal. 🙂
The rules are:
- I share eleven random facts about myself.
- Answer eleven questions that Kat asked.
- Pass the award onto other bloggers.
- Ask the nominated bloggers eleven new questions.
Sort of a catch and release meets chain letter. LOL.
Eleven Random Facts
1. I could give a tour at any fine art museum in the world due to all the art history classes I took in college.
2. I follow about 70 food blogs according to Feedly.
3. I’ve been a sci-fi/fantasy nerd since childhood. My favorite children’s books are A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle and Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
4. It took me over three years to start this blog. As a designer, I was worried that I didn’t have the time to design it properly. Thank goodness for WordPress plugins!
5. I am a recovering cheese-oholic. I suspect the real reason I can’t have it anymore because I’ve already eaten my lifetime allotment! The silver lining is that I’ve discovered spices. 🙂
6. When trying out a new recipe, I never make it exactly as written—partly due to allergies but also because I reference five different versions of the recipe and cobble together my own unique version.
7. I can’t stand lemon in my ice tea. I blame it on poor restaurants for trying to cover bad tea with excessive lemon.
8. The M&Ms Christmas commercial where both the yellow M&M and Santa faint never gets old. It cracks me up every year!
9. After all the test batches during the Orange Ginger Cookie recipe creation, I’m sooooo burnt out. I haven’t made them since I published the recipe. I have been thinking about different flavor combinations though…
10. I write this blog for the person I was four years ago when I was first diagnosed with several food allergies. I want to be the resource I needed then but couldn’t find. Gandhi never mentioned that being the change you want to see in the world could be so exhausting!
11. Coming up with eleven random things that I want to share is the hardest part of the Liebster award for me!
Eleven Questions from Kat
1. What is your favorite vegetable and what’s your favorite way to eat it?
Steamed artichoke with butter. Simple and it allows the artichoke flavor to come though.
2. What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Duh! Pecan Praline
3. What is your favorite type of music?
Eclectic; seriously all over the map but I’m very partial to French Canadian Pop right now.
4. What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday afternoon?
Dozing off while watching PBS cooking shows. Okay it may not be my favorite thing but that’s usually what happens!
5. What’s your favorite cookbook?
The Flavor Bible. It’s not really a cook book. It’s a flavor inspiration book. It allows me to experiment with flavor pairings and create new and exciting dishes.
6. Are you a planner or procrastinator?
Mmm. I’ll finish answering this question later…
7. What’s your favorite restaurant?
131 Main in Charlotte, NC. I could eat their grilled trout with asian cole slaw everyday!
8. Do you have a favorite family recipe?
Grandma’s carmel corn. It’s better than any I’ve ever tasted anywhere else. Sadly, I can’t have it anymore due to a corn allergy.
9. If you could do anything for one day, what would it be?
There’s nothing I want to “do” that I don’t already do. However, as an artist, I have many works in progress. (See #6). I’d love to spend a day (week or even a month) completing those pieces.
10. Are you a cat person, dog person or both (or neither)?
Definitely a cat person. I had a dog once. He liked my sister better. 🙁
11. What’s the best advice you can give about creating a successful blog?
Blog on topics that you’re passionate about or you won’t stick with it. Know where to find your audience online and engage them. Otherwise, you’re just talking to yourself!
- Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife
- Cheryl at Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Marla at Organic 4 Green Living
- Jill at Real Food Forager
- Lisa at Home to 4 Kiddos
- Chrystal at Yum Eatings
- Michelle at Ms. enplace
- Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Mummy Tries
- Otilia at Romanian Mum
- CJ at Morsels of Life
I look forward to their responses. 🙂
Questions for the Nominees
1. Why do you write your blog?
2. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
3. What would you pick for your last supper?
4. What’s your hidden talent?
5. Where was your best vacation?
6. What do you find to be the hardest thing about blogging?
7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
8. What is your favorite quote and by whom?
9. Describe your perfect day.
10. What’s your best recipe?
11. What do you want your readers to understand most about your blog?