I’ve been playing around with some old recipes making them into something brand new for Summer! I took the lemon butter cookies I gave out at Christmas and filled them with a lemon ice cream instead. That’s right—a Lemon Ice Cream Sandwich. Yum!
I used the same lemon curd recipe in the lemon ice cream below that I used for the lemon butter cookies. Feel free to swap out your own lemon curd or even another citrus curd recipe. I think orange curd would be fantastic!
For this ice cream sandwich I used a 3″ ring mold as a cookie cutter. It makes an extravagant presentation with a decadent calorie count to match—about 480 calories. For less of a dent in your daily calorie count, I recommend smaller cookies. A 2″ cookie would cut your calories in half easily.
- 1 can organic whole coconut milk , refrigerated
- 1 cup of lemon curd, refrigerated
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk (I use homemade almond/brazil nut milk.)
- 1/4 cup organic raw agave syrup or honey
- ½ tsp vanilla (I use ground vanilla bean but extract would work here too.)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Mix everything in a high-speed blender.
- Pour into ice cream maker and chill according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Empty finished ice cream in a freezer container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.
You will have leftover lemon curd and lemon cookies from making the ice cream sandwiches. I see this as not so much as a problem but an opportunity. You see, I bought the 3″ ring mold I mentioned above so that I could make a Lemon Mousse Tart. That recipe is coming soon!
Bonus tip: Cinnamon Ice Cream
For the cinnamon ice cream I mentioned in my Coconut Oatmeal cookie recipe, you just need to modify this ice cream recipe a little bit. Remove the lemon curd and add one teaspoon of cinnamon. My ice cream machine will handle a double batch of cinnamon ice cream to make @1.5 quarts.