Not long after I started making green smoothies, I discovered the need for a non-sweet smoothie. I’m all for a purple berry explosion of a smoothie but not every day. I still have a sweet tooth, but what I consider to be too sweet has changed drastically since I went paleo-ish.
I discovered some recipes online for a gazpacho sorbet (with sugar—yuck!) and instantly saw the possibilities for healthy savory green smoothies!
I have been anxiously waiting for the weather to warm up enough to share this gazpacho smoothie with you. I finally had to turn on the air conditioning last night (in North Carolina), so I knew it was time. 🙂
I can’t provide quantities. This is strictly to your liking. You can use any gazpacho recipe you like. I’ve provided a very basic one below. I like to keep the gazpacho base plain so that I can modify it on a whim when I make the smoothie. 🙂
- gazpacho ice cubes
- greens (spinach, kale, whatever you like)
- avocado (for creaminess but you could substitute any fat you like)
- protein powder, optional (I add Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate.)
Blend it smooth until it resembles a confetti-flecked green sludge! I like to add a little extra lemon at the end for extra tartness. The end result tastes like Summer to me—fresh, tangy, creamy goodness. Enjoy!
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ large cucumber, peeled and chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ large lemon or 1 lime , juiced
- sea salt, to taste
- Place all the ingredients into the pitcher of a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Portion into ice cube trays and freeze.
21 Responses to Gazpacho Green Smoothie – Corn-free, SF, GF
Pingback: Healthy Vegan Fridays #17
Pingback: Healthy Vegan Friday #17 |