I was browsing through some gluten-free/paleo bread recipes and I noticed they all had the same issue. The bread stays doughy in the middle and it takes forever to bake. So, I thought, “What if I took out the middle?”…and the donut roll was born!
Simple Gluten-free Flour Blend
I adapted this recipe from A Girl Worth Saving. She uses an interesting blend of gluten-free flours. It’s just coconut flour and tapioca flour. The coconut flour provides the protein and structure, while the tapioca flour provides the chewy texture. It’s the best of both worlds!
These sliced and toasted up beautifully the next day for an open-face scrambled egg sandwich. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture once the eggs were done.
I’ve played with the ratio between the two flours. The recipe below provides a crispy outside with an airy inside. Change the overall 120 grams of flour by just 10 grams in tapioca’s favor and you have a softer more chewy roll. You decide which you like better. 🙂
You can switch out the water for chicken stock (I’ve tried both ways) or any other liquid you like. I think I’m going to try to make an apple cinnamon roll and substitute the water for apple juice. Substitute cinnamon for herbs and sprinkle in some dried apple bits for a slightly sweet roll. I’ll post my results when I get a chance to try it.
Of course you can also use any herbs you like. Try tailoring your herbs to your meal. I used half garlic powder and half thyme in the rolls above. It worked perfectly as a dipper with my Turkey Chili. Next time, I think I’m going to slice the roll into rounds and toast it up as croutons for my soup!
No matter how much I oil my non-stick pan, these rolls stick. I think it’s the tapioca. When you bring the rolls out of the oven, take them out of the donut pan right away or the bottoms will get soggy. I used a fork or an offset spatula to pry them out. Both worked equally well.
I can’t imagine any gluten-free child feeling deprived with donut rolls instead of traditional yeast rolls at dinner. I know my inner child was delighted!
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water or any flavorful liquid (I used chicken bone broth)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 90g (¾ cup) tapioca flour
- 30g (¼ cup) coconut flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp herbs (I used garlic powder and thyme)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small pan combine the olive oil, water and sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add in tapioca flour.
- Mix thoroughly and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add in the herbs and egg.
- Mix in the coconut flour vigorously for 1 minute.
- Press into a greased donut baking pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Take them out of the donut pan right away or the bottoms will get soggy. If that happens, you can place them back in the oven on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes to crisp up.
Pingback: Simple Life Sunday #36 Featuring Quick And Fun Donut Rolls GF, CF, DF, - Trayer Wilderness
Pingback: Thank Goodness It's Monday #89 - Nourishing Joy
Pingback: Our "Family Center" (+ Simple Meals Friday) - Simple Life Abundant LifeSimple Life Abundant Life
Pingback: Simple Meals Friday - Nourishing Simplicity
Pingback: Savoring Saturdays #33 - Raias Recipes